Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym.
- Everyone's alone or so it seems to me.
- They make noises, and think they are talking to each other;
- They make faces, and think they understand each other.
- And I'm sure they don't. Is that a delusion?
A guy needs somebody to be near him. A guy goes nuts if he ain’t got nobody. Don't make no difference who the guy is, long's he's with you. I tell ya, I tell ya a guy gets too lonely an' he gets sick.
The mockery made him feel an outsider; and feeling an outsider he behaved like one, which increased the prejudice against him and intensified the contempt and hostility aroused by his physical defects. Which in turn increased his sense of being alien and alone. A chronic fear of being slighted made him avoid his equals, made him stand, where his inferiors were concerned, self-consciously on his dignity.
- For solitude sometimes is best society,
- And short retirement urges sweet return.
Solitude was corrupting me.
More Loneliness Quotes