I am the child of Fortune, the giver of good, and I shall not be shamed. She is my mother; my sisters are the Seasons; my rising and my falling match with theirs. Born thus, I ask to be no other man than that I am.
No skill in the world, nothing human can penetrate the future.
- How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be
- When there's no help in truth!
A mind at peace does not engender wars.
- The tyrant is a child of Pride
- Who drinks from his sickening cup
- Recklessness and vanity,
- Until from his high crest headlong
- He plummets to the dust of hope.
The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves.
Fear? What should a man fear? It’s all chance, chance rules our lives. Not a man on earth can see a day ahead, groping through the dark. Better to live at random, best we can.
[It is] not right to think good men, without a reason, bad or bad men good.
Time eases all things.
- Let every man in mankind's frailty
- Consider his last day; and let none
- Presume on his good fortune until he find
- Life, at his death, a memory without pain.
What good were eyes to me? Nothing I could see could bring me joy.
More Sophocles Quotes